More Greek comfort food
– 1 pound (#4) thawed phyllo pastry
– 1 to 1 1/2 sticks melted salted butter
– 1 cup breadcrumbs
For the Filling:
- 1 pound baby spinach, chopped (do not cook spinach)
- 2 heaping teaspoons dried dill
- 2 heaping teaspoons parsley flakes
- 1 bunch scallions chopped
- 16 ounces whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1 pound crumbled feta cheese
- 3 Beaten eggs
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1 heaping handful of cream of wheat or farina (helps absorb moisture from spinach. No one wants soggy spanakopita!)
For the Filling:
- Combine the chopped spinach, dill, parsley, scallions, ricotta, cream of wheat and feta cheese in a large bowl and using your hands, mix until everything is combined well.
- Taste the mixture and add as much salt and pepper as you like.
- Add the beaten eggs and about 3/4 cup of olive oil and mix well.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumbs into a large baking pan to create an even layer.
- Take 2 sheets of phyllo and place it in the pan an let some hang over pan. Do the again on all sides of pan make sure you butter the phyllo well. Place 2 more sheets in the center of the pan. And lightly butter.
- Spread all of the filling inside of the phyllo sheets. All of the sheets that are hanging outside of the pan should be folded over filling.
- Place 2 sheets phyllo on top and tuck into pan.
- Reserve 5 to 6 sheets of phyllo for the topping and place these sheets over the phyllo in a crinkled fashion like and accordion drizzle remaining butter on top of crinkled phyllo.
- Score top of pita but don’t cut all the way through.
- Bake the pita on center rack for 60 to 70 minutes.
Allow the pita to rest at room temperature for at least 20 minutes so that the filling can set.