- 8 Fresh lasagna sheets (2 per layer)
- Mozzarella cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- 1 eggplant, chopped in chucks
- 3 zucchinis, sliced
- 259 gr mushrooms, sliced
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 T oil
- 400g tin diced tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 4 cups of vegetable stock
- Salt, pepper, dried or fresh herbs such as rosemary, thyme and basil
- Heat oil and Brown onions in a large deep frying pan. Add crushed garlic, mushrooms, zucchinis and eggplant and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add tomato paste, seasonings, tinned tomatoes and stock and simmer for 40 minutes or longer to develop the depth of flavour. Keep topping with extra water as it’s reduced down.
- Spinach and ricotta filling
- 500g ricotta
- 2 bunches of English spinach , trimmed washed and steamed to will.
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 Tbsp grated parmesan cheese
Mix all ingredients together.
- 120g butter
- 2/3 c plain flour
- 3 and 1/2 cups of milk
- 2 eggs
- Pinch nutmeg
- 1/2 c grated parmesan cheese
- Melt butter, in a saucepan over medium heat
- Add flour and stir through until thick paste.
- Gradually add milk , 1 cup at a time, beating until smooth after each addition.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring, remove from heat once thickened
- allow to cool for 5 minutes before beating in eggs, nutmeg and parmesan cheese.
- Cover base of baking dish with liquid of vegetable sauce, layer with lasagna sheets, vegetable sauce, grated mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese, lasagne sheets, ricotta and spinach filling, drizzle a little vegetable sauce and continue to layer up using add ingredients.
- Top with bechamel sauce.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and bake in oven (200 degrees Celsius) for 45 minutes or until golden brown in colour.