An easy, tasty, healthy muffin made with whole wheat flour, oats, sweetened with maple syrup and ripe mashed bananas. Perfect for school lunch/snack. The original recipe here. I made a few changes and it works for me. I have to make substitutions with all the allergies at our house. Here’s a summary:
- Oils – melted coconut oil, olive oil, melted butter
- Sweetener – maple syrup, honey, sugar
- Eggs – egg, flax egg, apple sauce
- Milk – cow milk, coconut milk, almond milk
- ⅓ cup melted coconut oil
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup packed mashed ripe bananas (about 3 bananas)
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon, plus more for sprinkling on top
- 1¾ cups whole wheat flour
- ⅓ cup old-fashioned oats, plus more for sprinkling on top
- Optional add-ins: 3/4 cup chocolate chips, chopped walnuts, dried fruit
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit (165 degrees Celsius). If necessary, grease all 12 cups of your muffin tin with butter or non-stick cooking spray. I use muffin liners.
- In a large bowl, beat the coconut oil and maple syrup together with a whisk. Add the eggs and beat well. Mix in the mashed bananas and milk, followed by the baking soda, vanilla extract, salt and cinnamon.
- Add the flour and oats to the bowl and mix with a large spoon, just until combined. If you’d like to add any additional mix-ins**, like nuts, chocolate or dried fruit, fold them in now.
- Divide the batter evenly between the muffin cups, filling each cup about two-thirds full. Sprinkle the tops of the muffins with a small amount of oats (about 1 tablespoon in total). Bake muffins for 22 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean.
- Place the muffin tin on a cooling rack to cool. You might need to run a butter knife along the outer edge of the muffins to loosen them from the pan.
These muffins will keep at room temperature for up to 2 days, or in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. They keep well in the freezer in a freezer-safe bag for up to 3 months (just defrost individual muffins as needed).
- Makes 12 regular size muffins or 24 mini muffins
- I like to make a little longer to get a browner crunch top. You could sprinkle with a raw sugar and cinnamon mixture instead, but I like to keep the sugar down
- Tastes so good with a smear of butter or peanut butter
- I like to keep some chunks of banana when I mash it up
Looks perfect 👌