This is usually made with fresh tomatoes or canned crushed tomatoes which I think is a lot heavier in taste. Tried using V8 vegetable juice. Much more flavor and vitamins including tomato, celery, beetroot, parsley, carrot, lettuce, watercress and spinach. Hope you like it
- 3 large russet potatoes
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion (diced)
- hot water ½ inch under potatoes
- 1 tbsp salted butter
- 5oz. can V8 vegetable juice
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Rinse and peel potatoes – cut into 3rd’s then set aside.
- In a large pot on medium heat pour 1 tbsp of olive oil and add in potatoes browning them on all sides. Add in onion (also more olive oil if needed) stirring occasionally until onions are translucent.
- Pour in hot water almost covering the potatoes bringing to a boil. Add in vegetable juice, garlic cloves, oregano on medium heat for 30 minutes (semi covered) or until potatoes are softened then add butter.
- Add pepper, extra virgin olive oil (helps thicken sauce and flavor) and cook on medium/low heat stirring occasionally for another 5 min. (Do Not break up the potatoes). Let sit. Sprinkle parsley on top, serve hot as a side dish with feta cheese, goes great with meat, poultry or fish. Enjoy!
Note: You can also use chicken broth instead of water for a richer taste