Kotopoulo kokkinisto. Greek braised chicken cooked in tomato based sauce.
- 4 chicken thigh cutlets
- 8 chicken drumsticks
- Salt, pepper
- 1 Brown onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 200g button mushrooms
- 2 sticks celery
- 2 carrots
- 4-5 medium potatoes
- 3 or 4 over ripe tomatoes, or 400g tin diced tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2-3 cups chicken stock
- 1or 2 splash of white wine
- 1 tsp thyme
- 2 Tbsp light olive oil
- Half a cup of kalamata olives, pitted and halved
- Fresh thyme as garnish
1. Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper.Heat oil in large electric frying pan. Brown chicken pieces in batches. Place cooked chicken aside.
2. Scrape excess off pan. Leaving some juices from the cooked chicken, saute diced onion, add sliced mushrooms, celery, potatoes, carrots, tomatoes and crushed garlic. Cook for 3 or 4 minutes , stirring through.
3. Add tomato paste, chicken stock,pepper, thyme, white wine. Add extra water to make sure chicken is covered.
4. Place lid on and simmer for 50 minutes, basting at intervals. Test to see if potatoes are cooked.
5. Add halved pitted kalamata olives and mix through. Top with fresh thyme
Serve lots of crusty bread.