Bougatsa is a Greek breakfast pastry consisting of either semolina custard, cheese, or minced meat filling between layers of phyllo. Wikipedia
Delicious and easy Bougasta tonight.One of my favorite Greek desserts. I’ve used low fat milk and turns out great.
- 4 cups low fat milk
- Sliced peel of a lemon
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup fine semolina
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 12 phyllo sheets
- 3/4 cups melted butter
- icing sugar & cinnamon for topping
- Warm the milk and lemon peel in a saucepan.
- Stir in the semolina with a wooden spoon until the mixture is mixed.
- Beat the eggs sugar and vanilla until light and then add it to the saucepan .
- Stir it over medium heat till the custard has thickened and is smooth and creamy.
- Remove from stove and take out the lemon peel.
- Slightly cool custard
- Preheat the oven to 180C .. 350F
- Grease baking dish with butter. Line the bottom pan with phyllo 6 sheets.Lightly brushing each with the melted butter.
- Add cool custard.Fold the excess bottom sheets over the custard.Add remaining buttered 6 phyllo sheets over the top.Butter the top & spray with alittle water.
- Bake for about 40 mins or so until golden brown.Let the cake cool down .
- Then dust with icing sugar & cinnamon.
- You can also use puff pastry to make individual puff bougatsa parcels
- You can definitely make it the day before and cook it following day. Brush with lots of melted butter on top and cling up tight. I do the same with my spanokopita