Slow roasted in the oven.
- 1.5 kg leg or shoulder of lamb cut into chunks about the size of a fist
- 5 or 6 large potatoes cut into wedges
- 1 red onion cut in wedges
- 6 cloves of garlic, unpeeled
- Handful of cherry tomatoes
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ cup water
- 2 tbsp Greek oregano (Rigani)
- 2 bay leaves
- Black pepper
- Place the lamb pieces, potatoes, onion and garlic into a large baking tray.
- Scatter the rigani and bay leaves, a good grind of black pepper, add the olive oil and lemon juice, and mix well to coat the lamb and potatoes.
- Pour the water into the tray and cover with aluminium foil and place in a pre-heated oven at 160 degrees Celsius.
- Bake for 3 hours but check the level of liquid every hour and add water if necessary. After 3 hours remove the foil, baste the meat and potatoes with the cooking liquid, add the tomatoes on the top and crank the oven up to 180 degrees to bake uncovered for 20 minutes.