Made some healthy blueberry muffins a few weeks ago. Meh. Not worthy to be noted. Wanted to make muffins again, but I’ve already used up all my frozen bananas. With big boys and hubby at a play date, I searched for muffin recipes using ingredients I have in the house. Baby and I found a recipe here. Modified it with some changes like -used butter instead of coconut oil, had no applesauce, use big dark chocolate chips instead of mini semi-sweet, used a mixture flour -oat, bran and all-purpose – instead of all oat flour, to name a few. So, these could be made with “healthier” substitutions. I also modified the instructions based on my baking experience. I.e. cream sugar and butter, add vanilla and other wet ingredients, add mixed dry ingredients to wet mixture, etc. First time making it, but it was pretty good. The boy ate 3 right away.
Prep: 10 min
Cook: 20 min
Yield: 12 muffins
- 1 cup oat flour (you can make this simply grinding up oats in a blender until it’s powder)
- 1/4 cup ground bran flake cereal (ground up like the boat flour)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 bag dark chocolate chips
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/4 cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup maple syrup (i eyeball poured some in. It wasn’t a lot, so I think 1/3 cup)
- 2 large eggs (room temp)
- 1/2 cup butter (room temp)
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 450 F. Line muffin tins with paper or foil liners; set aside
- In a large bowl combine the oat flour, ground bran flakes, all-purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger and salt. Mix until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, vanilla, and maple syrup and mix. Add milk and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Add dry mix to wet mix and mix until just combined (do not over mix! That will lead to tough muffins). Add chocolate chips and mix until just combined
- Divide mixture into prepared muffin tins. Bake for 10 min., then reduce heat to 400F and continue baking for another 10 min. Remove pan from oven and allow muffins to cool completely in muffin tin.
- Serve immediately or place in airtight container for 3 days. Can be frozen for 1 month
Note for next time:
- lesson the sugar next time
- up the oat flour
- 1 less egg and use applesauce
- split batch in half and mix half batch raisins instead of dark chocolate chip. Like an oatmeal raisin cookie, but muffin form