My favourite cousin came over for an afternoon of lazing around. We decided to bake with the kids. Boy 1 wanted cupcakes. But, with Boy 2’s allergies, it was a bit difficult. After some searches I found this awesome recipe then doctored it to work with what I know about baking, incorporating the kids likes, etc. I used to think vegan food was for hippy dippies, but now I am thankful for all their trailblazing efforts. This recipe rocks!
1 cup soymilk
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
3/4 cups white flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup margarine or 1/3 cup canola oil
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla 1/4 teaspoon almond extract or 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 dried Craises in boiled water (re-constituted)
1 Preheat oven to 350F and line muffin pan with paper liners.
2 Pour vinegar into measuring cup. fill with soy milk. leave alone while continuing with rest of recipe
3 IF USING MARGARINE:.
4 Sift the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a large bowl and mix.
5 In a separate large bowl,use a handheld mixer at medium speed to cream the margarine and sugar for about 2 minutes until light and fluffy, but don’t beat past 2 minutes. Beat in the vanilla and other extract, if using. Hand-mix alternate beating in the soy milk mixture and the dry ingredients, stopping to scrape the sides of the bowl a few times. Now add the reconstituted Craisens and mix until just mixed. Over mixing will make for a tough cake!
6 IF USING OIL:
7 Beat together the soy milk mixture, oil, sugar, vanilla, and other extracts, if using, in a large bowl. Sift in the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda and salt and mix until no large lumps remain. Now add the reconstituted Craisens and mix until just mixed. Over mixing will make for a tough cake!
8 Fill cupcake liners two-thirds of the way and bake for 20 to 22 minutes till done.
Transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely before frosting.My Extras:
- Used can of Soy formula because that’s all I had. But, try using different types of soy/rice milk to change up the flavour. i.e. Vanilla, Chocolate, Strawberry
- I used all Vanilla extract. Might try using some different extracts i.e. orange,
- Use whatever flour you have. I just wanted to add a little nutrition. Mix it up and use bran flakes, whole-wheat flour, white flour, arrowroot flour, etc
- Instead of Craisens, use some other type of dried fruit.
- Switch up the sugars and use half white half brown. I used all white, but might put a little less next time