I am not a vegan, but my kid has tons of allergies. So, trying to combine my love to bake, with something that taste good AND doesn’t have things that he cannot eat in the ingredients is difficult. I found this recipe and doctored it so everyone can eat in my household can eat it. Had to try something, since the last time I made pecan squares with a short bread cookie crust, the little guy just stared as we were eating piece after piece. A fruit substitute didn’t feel special to him.
- 1/2 cup each – whole wheat flour, rolled oats, all-purpose flour
- 1 1/8 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 large ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup apple sauce (to replace the melted butter in the original recipe. just used one of those snack cups)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Coat muffin pans with non-stick spray, or use paper liners. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; set aside.
- Combine bananas, sugar, vanilla, apple sauce in a large bowl. Fold in flour mixture, and mix until just mixed. Scoop into muffin pans.
- Bake in preheated oven. Bake mini muffins for 10 to 15 minutes, and large muffins for 25 to 30 minutes. Muffins will spring back when lightly tapped.
Note: If you don’t own a sifter, just mix your dry ingredients with a whisk!. The whole point of doing that is to incorporate air.
Add extras – mini chocolate chips, chopped nuts (walnuts go great with bananas),
A crumble on top would make it extra delicious – mix butter with brown sugar, spoon on top of muffins before baking. 1/4 butter with 1/4 cup brown sugar. Not too sure of the measurements as I kinda eyeball a lot of stuff
I know they are good because my son without the allergies ate 4 mini-muffins that night and the next morning wanted it for breakfast. Also my neighbours called to say it was good. So another testimony to say they were good.
Husband just went out the door to go outside and meet up with Neighbour
Mom: Babe, go bring these out to Dad to share with his friends
Son: OK! Can I open the door Mommy?
Mom: Yes darling. Thank you for asking
Son: DAD! DAD!
Dad: Close the door! It’s cold!!
Son: No, Dad! Share these with your friends.
Son gives to Dad and closes door. Walks over to mom.
Mom: OooooOOoooo. It’s cold. Want some hugs to warm you up?
Son: Yes please.
Mom hugs and rubs his back and arms.
Mom hugs and rubs his back and arms more
Son: Kisses too
Mom: Kisses warms you up?
Mom: that warms mommy’s heart
kiss, hug, kiss, hug, xoxoxo