I had some over ripe bananas, I wanted to use my muffin cap baking pan, and a friend on FB mentioned they were going to bake banana chocolate chip muffins. INSPIRATION! The original Chocolate Chip Banana Muffin Recipe online looked good, but I didn’t have all the ingredients it asked for and I switched some to make it a bit healthier. It’s not super sweet. This is my version:
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup plain strawberry yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup semisweet mini chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 350 degrees C
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl, combine the egg, oil, yogurt and vanilla.
- Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in bananas and chocolate chips.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full.
- Bake for 13 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- if you prefer a little sweeter, put half white half brown sugar. original recipe was all white sugar & more chocolate chips.
- if you don’t have whole wheat flour, all purpose is fine
- switch up the yogurt flavour for a new twist or use sour cream
- add 1/2 cup walnut pieces for a nice crunch
- use melted butter for a richer flavour
- use applesauce to make it even more healthy
- 20-25 minutes for muffins